A community based on civil discussions of topics, especially video gaming but not limited thereto, and socialization with community friends.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  DonateDonate  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Your opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
p4p
Level 1
Level 1

Number of posts : 12
Warning Level :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Your opinion   Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 am

if we could have global accounts instead of having to register at each and every board we visist do you think that would help get members for the forums?
That ppl would be more apt to stop in and join if they didn't have to register each time they went to a board?
Or would it cause more problems than it would solve?
Like when i came here-had to sign up all over again.It's like opening a whole nother account.
Now if it were global i would just join by posting and have the same username here as our own board.
What do you think?This is a great place-real impressed with the features and everything it offers for free(can't beat this place)but the forums all seem kinda disconnected.Know what i mean or is it just me?
Also if you guyz want to advertise your forums feel free:

SPOOLS OF THREAD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clan Jade Falcon
Level 3
Level 3

Male
Number of posts : 64
Warning Level :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Sounds good. I dont get into any of that but it sounds like a good idea to me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 238
Warning Level :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm

At first I was okay with the idea, but there are some down-sides. For one thing, this sort of global registration would take away some of the control that board owners had over membership. As it stands, I could decide to make it so that I have to personally authorize every new registration, which ability I would lose with global registrations. (Not that I intend to do that, but someone else might on another board.)

Secondly, it means that more common user names will be taken and thusly unavailable even on brand new boards. For example, I use IceMan, and that's a very common nickname used all over the Internet, and had the boards used a global registration then before long it would be unavailable to anybody even on brand new boards. Some guy could start a new forum tomorrow and immediately people wouldn't be able to be Kevin, Aaron, Tom, or David, but instead would have to be kevensmith73, xxaaronxx, thomas1337, and davidraypage431.

Thirdly, board owners would lose the ability to filter names. I can specify a list of names I disallow, like maybe I don't want members using my own name as theirs or maybe I don't want members named "Administrator" (that would confuse and possibly fool people) or names like "pen0r" (the latter is one that I actually do have forbidden). Global registration would take that away from me. So, if there's someone registered with the name Pen0r out there and he wants to come here, he either 1) would be able to against my wishes using a name I don't want him using, 2) wouldn't be able to come here at all, or 3) he would have to register again, and with a global registration system in place I don't know that he would be able to do that using the same email address and all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/phillipnelson
p4p
Level 1
Level 1

Number of posts : 12
Warning Level :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion   Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm

thanks Iceman.Didn't realize the downside.
That's the purpose of asking opinions.Other ppl usually know way more than me.
I was just beating head on desk trying to come up with ways to increase traffic on these forums.

Guess that one would cause more probs than it would solve.
So anyone else have any ideas?Is this one a good one or not? Or is there some other way?
God Bless,
p4p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion   

Back to top Go down

Your opinion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1